Friday, March 1, 2013

Chicken Noodle Soup

The other night I made Chicken Noodle Soup. I tried to make my own egg noodles but I wasn't 100% happy with them so I'll have to perfect them before I post a recipe. They weren't bad, just a little too thick. I loved how my vegetables looked all lined up on the cutting board so I had to take a picture. I got rainbow carrots in my Bountiful Basket so I decided to use those to add some fun colors.


INGREDIENTS:
2 TBSP Butter
1/2 Onion (I used Leeks because I needed to use them up)
4 celery Stalks, cut
4-5 Carrots, sliced
1 1/2 quarts chicken broth or homemade stock*
2 cooked chicken breasts, shredded
Egg Noodles
1 tsp basil
1 tsp oregano
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

  1. Melt butter in a large soup pot over medium heat. Stir in carrot, onion, and celery and simmer until  the onions turn soft and translucent, 5 to 6 minutes.
  2. Stir in chicken broth and bring to a boil. Add a little water if it seems to need it.
  3. Season to taste with basil and oregano, black pepper, and salt, if necessary; stir in egg noodles and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
  4. Stir in cooked chicken breast meat and simmer until heated through, about 5 minutes.
*Homemade stock is SO much better than store bought chicken broth.  It makes a huge difference in the taste of your soup, though it does take a little time.  I had a rotisserie chicken from the night before with most of the meat picked off that I covered with water, added 3 cloves or garlic, some diced onion, salt, and 2 bay leaves.  Let it simmer for a few hours.  Then strain the liquid into a couple of mason jars and discard the chicken bones and vegetables. 



No comments:

Post a Comment