Friday, March 1, 2013

Sweet Potato Bread

I also got a bunch of HUGE sweet potatoes in my Bountiful Basket last week.  Normally I just mash them with some butter, brown sugar and cinnamon, which I love, but you can only do that just so many times! Then I ran across this recipe on Pinterest and thought I'd give it a try.  It is absolutely delicious and tastes a lot like pumpkin bread or pumpkin chocolate chip cookies.  I doubled the recipe so I had 12 muffins for breakfast the next morning and a loaf of bread for snacks.  Though I almost hesitate to call this a muffin.  At what point does it become a cupcake instead of a muffin?!  These are so tasty they have to be considered more of a dessert than a breakfast food, don't they?


Sweet Potato Bread
1 ½ cups sugar
1 stick butter
2 eggs
1 ¾ cup flour
1 tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
½ tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground nutmeg
1/3 cup water
1 cup cooked sweet potato puree (I just boiled them until soft, then pureed them in my blender)
1/2 cup chocolate chips
***It's easy to sneak a bit more nutrition into these without the kids noticing.  I added about a TBSP of Wheat germ.  You could also add a TBSP of flax seed or bran. I won't tell if you don't! :)

Combine sugar and butter in a mixing bowl, beat until creamy. Add eggs and puree. Beat until smooth. Add dry ingredients and beat. Stir in chocolate chips. Pour batter into a greased 9x5 loaf pan. Bake at 350' for about 1 hour.  For muffins bake at 350 for about 30 minutes.

Original Recipe found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment