Friday, March 22, 2013

Caramel Sauce

Tonight I was really craving something sweet.  So I started scanning my cupboards to see what I had and I noticed that my brown sugar was on the verge of going dry and hard.  It's not every day that you need to "use up" brown sugar, but...alas....if I must, I must!  This is a really easy caramel recipe that is great for dipping with apple slices.  I have an abundance of apples right now because I just bought a huge box from Bountiful Baskets.  I'm just doing my best to make sure nothing spoils before we use it up! Oh, and this can also be used as a caramel sauce on ice cream or other desserts.  Just heat it up for a few seconds in the microwave until it is pourable. This will keep in the fridge for several weeks...though there's no way it will last that long without being eaten!  Recipe makes about 4 cups.


Caramel Dip
1 c. real butter
2 c. brown sugar
1 c. light corn syrup
1 can sweetened condensed milk
dash salt
1 tsp. vanilla
Mix butter, brown sugar, corn syrup, condensed milk and salt in medium saucepan. Bring to a boil and boil for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Mix in vanilla. If using as a sauce, reduce boiling time to 3 minutes. Keep covered in refrigerator and reheat as needed. 
**** This recipe was blatantly borrowed from my friend Lauren.  I'm sure she won't mind....I don't think.  http://laurenscooking.blogspot.com/2010/11/caramel-dip.html

No comments:

Post a Comment