Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Honey Popcorn



This is a recipe I found in one of those community cookbooks where everyone submits their favorite recipes and someone compiles it all and sells it for a fundraiser.  You know the type.  Some of my favorite recipes come from these types of cookbooks.  This particular recipe was submitted by an elderly woman (Ida Winter) who lived on my street and was the secretary at my high school.  Secretly, I was always a wee bit scared of her....but she has some great recipes!

Ingredients:
1 c. sugar
1 c. honey
1/2 c. margarine

Stir these ingredients (constantly) over medium heat until it reaches a soft ball stage.  Definition of Soft Ball - "Begins at 234 degrees if you have a candy thermometer, or when a small amount of syrup dropped into chilled water forms a ball, but flattens when picked up with fingers."  It's not as complicated as it seems.  I don't have a candy thermometer and I was able to figure out soft ball just fine.  Then you slowly pour the candy over popcorn (I used 2 full sized bags of light butter microwave popcorn, but you could air pop it too) while stirring to coat the popcorn evenly.  It's best if you have another adult to help with this step.  So yummy and easy too!

No comments:

Post a Comment