Friday, January 25, 2013

Apple Pie


Sunday I made an apple pie.  Why, oh why, do I give in to the baking urge on Sundays?  I didn't want to worry about making my own crust though and I had recently purchased pre-made pastry crusts with a coupon I had, so I used those.  I think they taste great and they only cost about $2, so I have a hard time making myself want to make my own crust.  My time is worth more than that, right? I guess you now know I'm not a real cook and you should move on to a more worthy food blog! But first try this apple pie recipe.  It was great!

Apple Pie Filling:
1 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup flour
1 tsp. ground cinnamon, plus more for sprinkling
1/2 tsp nutmeg
7 small/medium apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
Juice of one lemon

Mix together the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a small bowl. In another bowl, sprinkle apples with the juice of 1 lemon and toss. Stir in the sugar mixture to evenly coat the apples.Set aside.

Line a pie pan with one of the pie crusts. Mound the apple and sugar mixture into the pie pan lined with dough. Dot with pats of butter. Put second crust on top. Brush the top of the pie with beaten egg (1 egg is enough) and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. Trim the overhanging dough and crimp edges.

Bake pie for 1 hour at 350 degrees.  I keep mine covered with foil for about the first 35 minutes so the crust doesn't brown too fast.  Check the pie at about 50 minutes. Let rest 20 minutes before slicing.

No comments:

Post a Comment