Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Mexican Fried Rice

 
 
Ingredients
2 cups long grain white rice (I used basmati rice)
4 cups vegetable stock or any stock of your choice
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 cup chopped colored bell peppers
1/2 cup sweet corn kernels
1 can stewed tomatoes (diced is best, but you can chop up larger tomato pieces)
1 can black beans *
1 can diced green chillies
1 Tbsp. taco seasoning
1 tsp red chill powder, Optional
Salt to taste
1/3 cup canola oil
 
* My picture doesn't show the black beans but I do like them. When I made this batch we were having friends over for dinner who don't like beans so I left them out. 
 
**I like it a little spicier so I do add a can of Rotel. 
 
Directions:
Rinse the rice really well. This is important so the rice doesn't clump. Then cook the rice in the 4 cups of broth. I use my rice cooker, but you could do it on the stove if you have mad rice cooking skills (I don't....hence the assistance of Cuisinart!) It's best if you do the rice ahead of time because it needs to be cold before you add it to the rest of the ingredients. I usually refrigerate it overnight. Warm rice will clump.

Then add the oil to a frying pan and saute the garlic, onion, and peppers. Add the tomatoes (if they aren't diced you'll want to chop them up a bit) and the corn, chilies, and black beans. Then add the salt and spices and fry for a bit, stirring occasionally.

No comments:

Post a Comment