Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Chicken and Roasted Vegetable Soup

  
My mom recently gave me a big Ziploc bag of leftover rotisserie chicken pieces from a family gathering. I'd seen this recipe on Pinterest so I thought it would be a perfect way to use up some of that chicken. I loved the flavor of this soup! I did change it some to meet our needs. I doubled the recipe and next time I plan on increasing the vegetables even more (this version shows the doubled amounts and an increase in veggies and is how I plan to make it next time) since I wanted it to be a bit more hearty.We will definitely be making this soup again soon!

Ingredients
4 garlic cloves, minced
6 carrots, peeled and sliced
3 cup butternut squash, peeled and cubed
1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
1 yellow onion, quartered
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
8 cups chicken stock, store-bought or homemade
2-3 cups leftover shredded chicken or 1 pound cooked and cubed chicken breasts
1 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
2 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon dried thyme*
1 teaspoon dried rosemary*
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon cracked pepper
2 cup water
2 cups baby spinach
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
  2. Toss the vegetables in the olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast for 20 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
  3. Meanwhile, bring the chicken stock to a simmer in a large stockpot. Add the chicken, herbs, and salt and pepper. Cover and cook while the vegetables are roasting, about 15 minutes.
  4. Add half the vegetables to the soup, and place the other half in a blender. Make sure to put all of the onions quarters into the blender. Puree the vegetables with the 2 cups of water.
  5. Add the vegetable puree and baby spinach to the soup. Simmer for 5-10 minutes, until the spinach is wilted and the soup is hot. Adjust seasonings to your taste.
I left out the rosemary and thyme. I didn't have rosemary and I don't like thyme. I thought the flavor was still really great without those two ingredients but I listed them here in case you want to add them. 

Original recipe can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment