Monday, November 12, 2012

Zucchini Chocolate Cake

I tried this new cake recipe today and it turned out great! My kids were very excited to have warm chocolate cake for their after school snack, and they didn't even know it had zucchini in it. Also, can I just admit, I actually googled "zucchini" so I could get the correct spelling.  Zucchini and broccoli....why so hard for me to spell?  I was a spelling champ in middle school (even went to state) but those two words get me every time! Anyway, enough about me....let's talk cake!

Ingredients:
1/2 c. vegetable oil *
1/2 c. butter, softened
1 3/4 c. sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 c. buttermilk ** 
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1/4 c. unsweetened cocoa
2 1/2 c. flour
2 cups grated zucchini
3/4 c. chocolate chips

Cream oil, butter, sugar, and eggs together. Then add remaining ingredients and mix all together.  Put in greased 9X13 cake pan and bake at 325 degrees for 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.  Spread chocolate frosting on after cake has cooled.

*You can also substitute 1/4 c. oil and 3/4 cups smashed ripe bananas for a healthier option instead of the 1/2 c. oil.

**To make your own buttermilk put 1/2 tablespoon vinegar in half cup milk and let sit for 5 minutes.

Sorry, no pictures....but SPOILER ALERT....it looks like a chocolate cake! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment