Thursday, July 22, 2010

Strawberry Freezer Jam

I always thought that people who made jam must really have a lot of patience, skill, and overwhelming essence of Supermomness. Turns out that even I can make strawberry freezer jam! Anything requiring a canning jar is a little intimidating to me. Though I'm starting to feel more comfortable, but I still feel like quite the novice. Anyway, make some freezer jam -- it will make you think you're as awesome as your own mother. Luckily I have a chest freezer so I can make lots. The other day I made 15 pints of the oooey, gooey, Holy-cow-that's-a-lot-of-sugar yumminess!


NO COOK FREEZER STRAWBERRY JAM

1 qt. strawberries
4 c. sugar
1 box Sure-Jell
3/4 c. water

Prepare containers and fruit:

Wash and rinse with boiling water and drain. Use 1 to 2 cup glass or rigid plastic containers with tight fitting lids.

Have fruit at room temperature. Wash and drain well. If using food processor, take care not to puree fruit. Use exact measure of prepared fruit; extra fruit can affect sets.

Remove caps from berries. Thoroughly crush fruit one layer at a time. Measure 2 cups into large bowl. Measure exact amount of sugar (4 cups). Add sugar to fruit and stir thoroughly. Let stand 10 minutes. Mix 3/4 cup water and contents of Sure-Jell in small saucepan.

Bring to a full boil, boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir into fruit and continue stirring for 3 minutes. (A few sugar crystals will remain.) Ladle quickly into prepared containers, filling to within 1/2 inch of tops.

Wipe spills with a clean damp cloth. Cover at once. Let stand at room temperature 24 hours. Store in freezer. Small amounts of unfrozen jam or thawed maybe covered and stored in refrigerator up to 3 weeks. Makes approximately 4 3/4 cups.

This recipe will almost, but not quite fill up 3 pint jars. I made 5 batches to get me 15 pints.

No comments:

Post a Comment