Sunday, December 13, 2009

My Momma's Salsa


My mom grows an enormous garden every summer and cans all day every day during the Fall. I tried her salsa recipe for the first time myself this Fall. I'm afraid my husband will never let me get away with buying Pace again! Sorry if measurements in gallons goes against cooking etiquette. Also, I know squished is not a proper cooking term but it's the best way to describe it!


MY MOMMA'S SALSA


2 Gallons tomatoes, blanched until skin peels easily, peeled
Squish the tomatoes with your hands (wash 'em first, mom's orders!)
Add 2 Tbsp. salt and 3 Tbsp. Sugar
Boil these ingredients together.
Add 2 cloves garlic, diced.
1 Cup Jalepenos diced
3 Cups Anaheim or bell peppers (or a mixture of the two)diced
4-5 Cups diced onions
1/4 Cup olive oil
1/4 Cup vinegar
1/2 Cup Lemon Juice
2 Tbsp. Salt
1 1/2 Tbsp. pepper
2 Tbsp. Sugar
1 Tbsp. oregano
Fresh cilantro to taste, chopped
1 Tbsp. Chicken boulion

Cook down until desired thickness (this takes hours!). Pour into clean pint jars. Wipe off top edge of jars. Boil lids for a few minutes then place on clean tops of jars. Put on rings. Water bath for 20 minutes at a boil.

My own personal opinion: Salsa without Cilantro is like when your kid forgets to wear underpants. Hard to see the difference but your instinct just tells you something is wrong!

1 comment:

  1. You're too funny. I'll have to try this recipe next year. I just did not like the way my recipe turned out last year. I hate to admit that unless I am adding my canned salsa to a recipe to be cooked, I don't use it. It isn't thick enough. I know now it's because I didn't let it cook down long enough, but I also don't like the flavor of it. Maybe it's because my salsa recipe had underwear more like a thong...not enough coverage of cilantro. Ha ha!

    ReplyDelete