Sunday, July 20, 2014

Homemade Corndogs

  When you have little kids not every night can be super healthy or even at all healthy, right?! We made these homemade corn dogs and they were so fun and tasted really good! Much better than store bought ones. I did have a bit of trouble making mine look good. Most of them had tumor-like growths on them but they still tasted great. The trick is in getting the batter thick enough to stay on the corn dog but not too thick. I had to play around a little with the recipe below to get it just right, and honestly I can't remember what I did because we made these about a month ago (and I'm just trying to catch up!)
 
Ingredients
  1. 1 cup yellow cornmeal
  2. 1 cup all-purpose flour
  3. 1/4 cup sugar
  4. 1 Tablespoon baking powder
  5. 1/4 teaspoon salt
  6. 1 egg, beaten
  7. 1 1/2 cups buttermilk (regular milk works too)
  8. 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
  9. 1 Tablespoon honey
  10. 1 (10 count) package Hot Dogs
  11. 10 wooden skewers or chopsticks 
  12. Vegetable Oil for frying. I used my Fry Daddy but you could do it on the stove in a deep pan. 
Mix the batter and pour into a tall drinking glass, put the hot dogs on the skewers and dunk in the mixture (since I used my Fry Daddy the skewers were too long so I just dunked the corn dogs, fried them, then put them on a skewer to serve.) Fry in the hot oil for a minute or two until they are golden brown. Enjoy with ketchup and mustard!

No comments:

Post a Comment