Monday, November 11, 2013

Homemade Play Dough

I know it's a little odd to put a play dough recipe on a food blog. But I figured that since all the old cookbooks put together by people from my very small hometown include miscellaneous recipes like this, I thought I'd go for it anyway. Also, when my son wanted to make it last week it took me longer to find my recipe than to actually make the dough so I thought I'd better put it somewhere easier to find. My kids absolutely love to play with play dough, but I hate the store brands because they stick to things (carpets, clothes etc) and it's so hard to get it off. This stuff is super easy to clean up. My kids have literally played with this dough for hours and hours in the past week. If you keep it in a air tight container it will easily last for at least a month. So get off your duff and go be Super Mom!

Ingredients:
2 cups water
2 cups flour
1 cup salt
1/2 cup cornstarch
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 Tbsp. alum
Food coloring

Mix and cook over medium heat until thick. I'm not really sure why you have to cook it to be honest, because it's not really cooking. You're mostly just mixing the ingredients over heat. It really turns into playdough when you scrape it out of the pot onto a lightly floured surface and then knead it until it's a good non-sticky consistency. You don't need to add any extra flour. If you do it will be too dry. Just knead it until it feels right.

No comments:

Post a Comment