Monday, May 25, 2015

Sweet and Sour Chicken

This is a recipe I've had for at least 10 years and I used to make it a lot but had kind of forgotten about it. So I made it the other day and decided I'd better put it on my blog so I don't forget about it again. It is really good and I love the sauce! My kids said it is better than going to our local Chinese restaurant. I do double the sauce so there is extra to put on my rice. The recipe below already has the doubled amounts.

Ingredients:
2 - 3 lbs chicken breasts or thighs
1 cup cornstarch
2 eggs
garlic salt

Sauce:
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup white vinegar
1 cup pineapple juice
8 Tbsp. ketchup
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 tsp. salt

Directions:
Rub garlic salt on chicken and let sit awhile. (or sprinkle on garlic salt later when you have the chicken in the pan.)  Put cornstarch in a large ziploc bag, add chicken and shake to coat. Dip coated chicken in beaten egg. Put chicken in sprayed 9 x 13 pan. Make sauce by heating all the ingredients together and adding a bit of cornstarch to thicken it. It needs to boil for a few minutes before it thickens. Stir constantly. Pour a little more than half the sauce onto the chicken pieces and bake at 375 for 1 hour. Save extra sauce to pour over rice or to add to chicken when it's done. Optional: After the chicken is cooked you can top it with pineapple chunks, peanuts or onions.

No comments:

Post a Comment